The following is a list of resources available to help you learn more about the veterans on our list. If in your search you discover new information we hope you'll share it with us.
The information on this list isn't linkable. However you can use the key words to find information on the resources online. The eventual launching of the web version of this website will include live links to this content and more. Keep on the look out for more information.
Manhattan Public Library
Address: 629 Poyntz Ave., Manhattan, KS 66502 Phone: 785-776-4741 Web: www.mhklibrary.org
- World War II Veterans Oral History Project, DVDs (151 interviews). Created by the Riley County Historical Society.
- Newpaper Microfilm Collection. Includes all local newspapers published during World War II.
Specific books to check out include:
Manhattan in the 20th Century: A Pictorial Collection, published by the Manhattan Mercury (R 978.1).
A History of Manhattan, Kansas, by Jack, Lowell (978.1).
Fort Riley: Citadel of the Frontier West, by William McKale (R 978.1).
Fort Riley: Images of America, by William McKale (R 978.1).
Riley County Genealogical Society
Address: 2005 Claflin Rd., Manhattan, KS 66502 Phone: 785-565-6495 Web: www.rileycgs.com
- Marriage licenses, probate and naturalization records.
- Obituaries 1993-2015.
- Kansas Kin Newsletter 1963-present.
- Index of Historic Newspaper Surnames.
Riley County Historical Society and Museum
Address: 2309 Claflin Rd., Manhattan, KS 66502 Phone: 785-565-6490 Web: www.rileychs.com
A great resource to check out without necessarily knowing what you're looking for specifically.
- Manhattan Chamber of Commerce Scrapbooks.
Hale Library - Kansas State University
Address: 1117 Mid-Campus Dr. Nth, Manhattan, KS 66506 Phone: 785-532-3014 Web: www.lib.k-state.edu
- TBD. Digital and physical collection of the Kansas State Collegian Newspaper.
City of Manhattan
Address: 1101 Poyntz Ave., Manhattan, KS 66502 Phone: 785-565-6490 Web: www.cityofmhk.com
- Gravesite locater, ARC GIS web database.
Riley County Office Building
Address: 110 Courthouse Plaza, Manhattan, KS 66502 Phone: 785-537-6340 Web: www.rileycountyks.gov
- Property Deeds and Marriage Licenses.
U. S. Cavalry Museum
Address: 205 Henry Ave., Ft. Riley, KS 66442 Phone: 785-239-2737 Web: www.riley.army.mil/About-Us/Museums
- Collection of photographs and documents related to the history of Fort Riley.
Address: 200 SE 4th St., Abilene, KS 67410 Phone: 785-263-6700 Web: www.eisenhower.archives.gov
- Composite Collection of World War II Participants and Contemporaries. Archive of donated materials from numerous individual donors, including 8 veterans listing Manhattan as their residence.
- Inauguration Ceremonies of Milton Eisenhower as President of Kansas State College Broadcast over Farm & Home Hour ( September 30, 1943, NBC).
- From Horse Cavalry to B-29: The Kansas Homefront During WWII. Instructional collection (TB) created by Emporia State University.
National Archives and Records Administration
Address: 8601 Adelphi Rd., College Park, MD 20740-6001 Phone: 1-866-272-6272 Web: www.archives.gov
- Digital and physical collection of enlistment and service records for all military service men and women.
Address: P.O. Box 37012 MRC 154 Washington, D. C. 20013-7012 Phone: 1-202-633-2240 Web: www.library.si.edu
- Digital and physical collections of material related to World War II.
On the Web
Findagrave.com - An essential tool in our research on the veterans featured on this site.
Archive.org - A non-profit virtual library housing millions of free books, movies, software, music, websites, and more. This includes nearly every K-State Collegian and Royal Purple Yearbook.
Ancestry.com - Public access available at the Manhattan Public Library.
Newspapers.com - Public access available at the Manhattan Public Library.
More to come soon....